British Comedy on the radio

edited October 17 in British Comedy

If you enjoy British Comedy it is probably worth ditching the telly and exploring shows on the radio. The Beeb have a host of material on line that isn't restricted geographically. Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy leaps out as a radio hit, but that's just the tip of the iceberg. The Radio 4, Radio 4 Extra and BBC Sounds websites have the motherlode.

The Goon Show is an obvious starting point. Spike Milligan, Harry Secombe and Peter Sellers inspired the Pythons and a generation that followed. When I discovered The Goons it was slightly disconcerting to find that my dad had a well practiced Bluebottle impersonation.

But there is also Much Binding in the Marsh, Round The Horne, ITMA - It's That Man Again, The Navy Lark, The Men from the Ministry, Beyond Our Ken, The Boosh, and more.

Not a Beeb show, but in my teens, Kenny Everett's Saturday show on Capital was essential listening with his Captain Kremmen serial. He was so funky! It's out there on the internet. You might find the odd tv clip as well.

Tagged:

Comments