What's your favorite British film?

Let's kick things off by sharing your favorite British film (the British generally say 'film' instead of 'movie' and 'cinema' instead of 'movie theater').

I'm going to cheat and say two.

Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World

The Remains of the Day

Tagged:

Comments

• Sense and Sensibility (1995) is the quintessential British film. I also love the fact that it was released the same year that I had my first trip to England. :) The costumes, the scenery, and Emma Thompson's adaptation of Jane Austen's novel was Oscar worthy.

• James Bond, Mary Poppins with Julie Andrews, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, The Imitation Game, All 3 Hobbit Movies

• All the Bridget Jones films

• Trainspotting comes to my mind.

• Probably a bit controversial, but I did very much enjoy Love Actually, Notting Hill, and The Holiday. Not very deep, but somewhat satisfying, nonetheless. Pride and Prejudice. Sense and Sensibility. Emma. 
  • I think it's probably down to the fact that these movies mirror my fantasy of meeting an English bloke, falling madly in love, and settling into a blissfully happy English life. :) An American and British love story of sorts! It's been done many times, I know. Hahaha...

• edited September 2020

Pretty much any Jane Austen & Dickens adaptations, James Bond, Love Actually, Bridget Jones Diary, Notting Hill. I am also a fan of British Director Christopher Nolan so I catch his films.

• Try Charles Laughton's brilliant acting in "Hobson's Choice". Also from the 90's "Waking Ned Devine".

David Constant.

• Does anyone know any old black and white British films to recommend? I love classic movies!

• SleepyReader..."Waterloo Bridge" starring Vivien Leigh and Robert Taylor.

• James Bond films...specifically with that gorgeous Sean Connery (!). Historical films are my favorites, however. Not even if they're historically accurate, like Anne of a Thousand Days.

• Sleepy Reader..... Kenneth More version of ‘The 39 Steps’, John Mills in an adaptation of ‘Great Expectations’, the original ‘Carry On’ film, ‘Carry on Sergeant’ rather different to the series that followed, Brief Encounter with Trevor Howard (and speaking of Trevor Howard, though it’s more sepia than black and white and much more recent than the others, try the wonderfully bizarre ‘Sir Henry at Rawlinson End’), Alistair Sim in ‘Scrooge’ (in the original black and white, avoid the colourised version which is something of a mess). Many of the early ‘Ealing Comedies’ were in black and white, Kenneth More again in ‘Reach For The Sky’. Noel Coward in ‘In Which We Serve’. Plenty to keep you occupied for a while and all in glorious monochrome!