What's your favorite British comedy?

I'll start with mine.

Yes, Minister.

Comments

• Doc Martin, Ruthless, My Family, Absolutely Fabulous, Are You Being Served........

• W1A: Hugh Bonneville heads a great cast; they are decision makers at the BBC. The humor is ironic and deadpan and spot-on for anyone with an appreciation for how the corporate world works.

Still Game: a Scottish sitcom about two old friends living out their retirement. I must admit that for the first few episodes I had to turn on the closed captioning as I find a Scottish accent challenging.

The IT Crowd: how the world looks from the tech support department.

Inbetweeners: lots of junior high humor; great for when you don't want to think too hard.

The Windsors; an irreverent look at the royal family; interesting casting.

Fleabag: this doesn't fit exactly into the comedy category, but it made me laugh out loud many times, even in the rewatching. Adult themes.

Blackadder: a classic, but great fun for anyone with an interest in British history. The first series is a little rough around the edges, but the production gets more sophisticated by the second series.

• Those are all great choices! @kmf have you seen 2012, the predecessor to W1A about planning the London 2012 Olympics? May of the same characters feature. It's grand.

• I think Doc Martin is in my top five favorite all time British TV shows.

• Doc Martin is by far our favorite British comedy. We have watched it from the very beginning and have rewatched all of it recently. It is well written, the characters are well developed, and the filming location is amazing. The characters are so quirky, especially the Doc himself.

Watching this over the years, we had always wanted to visit Port Isaac and were able to do that in June 2019 and it just happened to coincide with some of the filming for season 9. We stood around awhile and were able to get a couple of photos of a few of the cast members. But just being in the village is like being on the set. There are so many familiar locations and it's all within walking distance. We climbed up the hill behind "surgery" and sat on the bench which has been used several times. We are anxious to return someday and spend more time exploring the village and surrounding area. Doc Martin has definitely put Port Isaac on the map, but it didn't feel like a tourist trap even though we were there while they were filming.

• It's so funny to see Martin Clunes in other productions. He has a naturally smiley face and a great sense of humor, very different from the Doc Martin character. Acorn TV produced a crime feature starring Clunes in an unusual role as a DCI: Manhunt. He has also done a number of travel documentaries about islands in various parts of the world and shows about dogs and horses.

I enjoy my Acorn TV subscription and have been thinking about committing to BritBox. Does anyone have advice about whether it is worth the cost? Would you recommend one service over the other?

• Well, since I have a boxed set of the entire "Blackadder" series, I can safely say that's my favourite, but... "The IT Crowd", "The Detectorists", "Keeping Up Appearances", "Monty Python's Flying Circus" are all among my top 10. Unpopular opinion: "Absolutely Fabulous" isn't that funny. I know, I'm in the minority, but it just never tickled my funny bone.

• Britbox is absolutely worth the cost. Britbox and Acorn complement each other well and there isn't much overlap in their libraries.

• You're not in the minority! I can't stand it either!

I also dislike Monty Python (dodges rotten vegetables now being thrown at me).

• My introduction to British comedy occurred when I was at a video store and saw a VHS of Blackadder III in the sale bin. I bought it on a whim and was totally blown away. It was like nothing I had every seen before. After that, I started collecting the rest of the Blackadder series and then moved on to Absolutely Fabulous on VHS.

• I love Keeping Up Appearances, Fawlty Towers, Are You Being Served, Benny Hill, Miranda, Vicar of Dibley and As Time Goes By. All of these I've seen on PBS when I was a kid. Now that I got Britbox and Acorn TV I'm watching them all over again.

If anyone has other suggestions I would to see them!

Thank you!

• Have to defend my Ab Fab girls! Must admit, though, that they are best in small doses.

Here's today's dose of British humor with two of my favorites (short clip): https://www.facebook.com/460565407312932/videos/2693607550916946/

• edited June 19

The Windsors is my favorite. Hugh Skinner makes me laugh even when he's playing a more serious role, like in Poldark.

• Vicar of Dibly

• Being a Londoner and from near Peckham one of my favourites has to be Only Fools and Horses.

• Gavin & Stacey 💕❤️

• Black Adder, Father Ted, Only Fools and Horses, One Foot in the Grave, Red Dwarf, The Two Ronnies, The Office, the Thick Of It, Monty Python, The Young Ones... showing my age with pretty much all of these!

• Coupling is my favorite TV show of all time. Vicar of Dibley also makes me laugh until my sides ache.

• Love Coupling. Commentators have always called it the British version of 'Friends' but it's so much better than that!

• Fawlty Towers

• I don't know if these shows are available anywhere, but I used to enjoy Rising Damp and a production of The Norman Conquests.

• Auf WiedersehenPet 

• I usually describe it to others I'm trying to convert as Friends meets Sex in the City, but with delightful British accents. :)

• Surprised not to see The Thin Blue Line mentioned yet! Rowan Atkinson and team are hilarious. Have to re-watch it every now and then. My favorite!

like the IT Crowd also, truly insane!

• I know it's going back to WWII, but my favorite English movie and romantic comedy is "I Know Where I'm Going". If you haven't seen it, you're in for a treat if you like well-crafted, smart and funny black and white movies. It also happens to be one of Martin Scorcese's favorites, which is surprising but fun fact.

• I have so many I love, it would be hard to even narrow it down to a few. Loved 2012 and W1A, which were already mentioned here. Of the more recent shows, Doc Martin, Mum, Episodes, Miranda, Gavin & Stacey, Vicious, Hold The Sunset, Coupling. Favorites from the older classics: Are You Being Served, As Time Goes By, AbFab, Vicar of Dibley. I'm sure there are more I'm forgetting, this is just off the top of my head.

• I have both Britbox and Acorn. They're not that expensive and if you sign up through Amazon, it's easy to pause them, so you can go back and forth and do a few months of Britbox and then a few of Acorn (I keep meaning to do that but I never remember and they're each only a few dollars a month). I actually paused my Netflix account because I was hardly using it since I had so much on Britbox and Acorn when I wanted to stream something.

• Maybe it's because it was one of the very first that I watched every episode, but "The Fall & Rise of Reginald Perrin" - I think Leonard Rossiter was a genius!

• Our family's favorite BritComs are Black Adder and Vicar of Dibley. We now subscribe to both Acorn and Britbox, and are discovering comedies that we never knew about.

• Both classics of British comedy and should be watched by all!