What's Your Favorite British Book?

Let's get the ball rolling on a discussion of your favorite British book.

My favorite one Brideshead Revisited.

I love the book dearly, not just the classic TV adaptation.

Comments

• Again, so many! I love and can reread the 'Doctor' books by Richard Gordon, Hangover Square by Patrick Hamilton, My Family and other Animals by Gerald Durrell and all the Sherlock Holmes books

• I have to say any of the Dick Francis books, Hilt, Driving Force, etc. His description of England made me want to visit even more before we starting making regular trips over. We go to Cheltenham Races each time we visit, just because Mr Francis gave such a vivid and compelling description.

• Any and all from Jane Austen... Most of Charles Dickens' books. The Bronte sisters. JRR Tolkien. James Herriot's All Creatures Great and Small. More recently, JK Rowling and Colin Dexter (Inspector Morse fame).

• All of the classics mentioned above, of course, are some of my favorite reads (Jane Austen still brings it!). I love a good Dickinson poem with a warm cuppa on a rainy day or a bit of Forrester's Horatio Hornblower novels if I'm feeling adventurous. Although African Queen is probably his best known work, Forrester's novel The Good Shepard was made into a movie this year called Greyhound staring Tom Hanks. I recently read To The Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf and loved it for the atmosphere it created of being in the British countryside by the sea.

• Anything by the Bronte sisters. I even did my college senior thesis on Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte.

• edited October 9

Wainwright’s Pictorial Guides to the Lake District. I fell in love with these as a boy and still they have pride of place on the book shelf. Written over fifty years ago, nobody has done a better job of describing the Lake District. Instructive, philosophical, humorous, cantankerous, these are, in Wainwright’s own words, his love letter to the district and his magnum opus. Perhaps better known for his Coast to Coast Walk book in the USA, these are the writings that spawned the man, the myth, the legend!

• My favourite book of all time--were I forced to choose just one!--is Conan Doyle's *The Hound of the Baskervilles.* Dartmoor is evoked so strongly. I wanted to do a walk on Dartmoor several years ago. I got as far as Okehampton Castle. LOL

• These books are amazing and I have a set in my library with great pride!