Why Are You an Anglophile?

2»

Comments

• I didnt read all way thru but I may be the first one to state it was Lady Diana! Been a fan since her wedding day in 1981. It escalated from there over the years.....London of course being my favorite city but love all of the UK and Ireland as an irish pub in my city got me hooked on Guinness and Smithwicks. I have acquired many treasures now thanks to the web....but my Mom's family thru my grandather comes from England so I was born to it right? Have a penpal about 100 miles north of Manchester which is cool. So I am a big royal family fan as well as all of the UK. Right down to trying to cook british dishes.

• Totally Agatha Christie’s fault! 😄 Then my son served in the Air Force there and I got to visit. Didn’t hurt that I met my (now) husband there either. It’s good to be an Anglophile!

• When i was 19 i was sent to England to do work for my church. I was sent to Carlisle, Hull, Gateshead, and Newcastle. Learned to love the English People. I was there for 2 years before returning to the states. Married a girl whos mom is from Burnley near Manchester. Still trying to make it back to England.

• Hard to say. It's increased over the years. I was really close to my grand father who died when I was a child and he was Scottish - born in Canada but he grew up in the UK. Also have some English on my mother's side but haven't been able to trace that history to England yet as it wasn't a recent immigration.

My first trip to the UK was when I was stationed in Germany in the late 80's. While it was a fun trip, I actually found late 80's London dirty and pretty grim so didn't plan to go back. 1990 I traveled to Scotland and fell in love with it. Some years ago I started communicating with some distant family members who live in the UK and I arranged a trip back to London and nearby areas. I had an amazing time! Modern London is SOOOO much nicer than it was back in the late 80's. It was like night and day for me. Really become a bigger Anglophile since that trip and went to London again last year.

• @Dodie They're more British than I am too! If I were to praise one thing about the UK I think it would be how close everything is and how easy it is to get from one place to another. I have been obsessed with trains (specifically GWR for no particular reason) and always begged my mum and dad to take me on a train somewhere every free moment I had.

• I was born and raised in Coventry and moved to California when I was 16. It was a great adventure then, but as I grew older I realized all the things I had and did miss from UK. Even though I now live in beautiful British Columbia, I still miss Britain, it's beauty ,it's history, the food and the British sensibilities.