Tea!

Let's talk about British tea. Which one is your favorite? Your 'daily drinker?'

I have to daily drinkers:

Yorkshire Red in the morning:

Cornish Smuggler's Tea After Lunch:

Tagged:

Comments

• Hate tea. Love almost everything else British. I don't like Indian food either.

• I didn't like tea at first, but after years of travel, it grew on me. It's coffee I can't stand.

• I’ve never been a tea drinker. I do have tea while visiting but it’s not my favorite beverage. Maybe I haven’t tried the right kind.

• Earl Grey is my favorite, however, the last time I visited London my daughters an I took the train to Hampton Court Palace the afternoon we arrived after our overnight, sleepless flight from Southwest USA. This was in December and there was snow on the ground. We loved Hampton Court and enjoyed our time there, but by the time we arrived back in London we were pretty much shattered. We had a difficult time finding a place to have supper but finally found a pub that was open and serving food. We asked for tea and the Barman was accommodating and went to the kitchen to prepare it. He popped back quickly and said he just had to run across the street. When he returned he had a box of P G Tips and I don’t think I have ever had a more delicious cup of tea in my long, long life.

• Until recent years, it was somewhat difficult to find good British tea locally here in the US, but more recently, most major supermarkets carry PG Tips or Typhoo which are household favorites across Britain. For many years, whenever we traveled to the UK, I would always bring back as many packages of Marks and Spencer's store brand "Strong" loose leaf tea as I could fit in my suitcase. Once we started seeing more familiar brands here in the US, I have pretty much switched over to PG Tips as a regular English breakfast blend. I am not a big fan of flavored teas and any time I visit a tea room here in the US I feel like there is a lot of emphasis on flavored teas and I am always just requesting a simple English breakfast blend.

• edited June 26

A lovely tea at the Orangery in Kensington Garden

• edited June 26

• @bakizer11 FYI You should be able edit your posts after you publish them, so you can correct any typos. Click the gear on the right of the post.

• I'm Canadian, so Red Rose is my daily tea. It's a standard orange pekoe, if you're not familiar with it. But on a Sunday morning, if I don't have to work and have the leisure for a proper cooked breakfast, I like to brew up a little pot of Yorkshire Red or Gold loose-leaf. The best tea I ever had, though, was Murrough's Welsh Breakfast. I picked up a souvenir tin of tea bags when I was in Wales a few years ago, and it was the smoothest-drinking tea I've ever drunk. Next best: the Jane Austen Blend, at a tea-room in Bath. Yeah, kinda touristy, but it was still a lovely blend. 😊

• PG Tips all the way with some scones....jam first and then cream, the Cornish way. :)

• PG Tips! Can't live without it

• For a long time it was London Cuppa, but now that they have weakened their blend and under-fill their bags I am back to Yorkshire Tea. Red, not gold simply for affordability. It is lovely. Drinking some as I found this topic

• If I'm honest, Waitrose essential daily tea is our cuppa. But it's difficult to get (especially this year) so I end up with Twinings (I can get the British Twinings English Breakfast tea - the "British Version" - here in Orlando.)

• I love tea. Give me a cup of Yorkshire Red and I'm good.

• Generally Builders but I love them all!

• Yorkshire Red for everyday. A nice Assam, tea leaves, for special days.

• I use loose leaf mainly. But I do have PG Tips for when I'm feeling lazy. I am an Earl Grey addict but love all kinds of teas. I have about 100 loose leaf teas (counting tisanes and red bush teas) I may have a problem....😂

• We’re usually a PG Tips house, but I also keep several tins of Harney’s tea...Paris is a favorite...and I love Yorkshire Gold.

Wondering if anyone has tried the Yorkshire Biscuit blend or their Nighttime blend? Love the description of the Biscuit blend - “Tea with a smattering of malty sweetness, for a satisfying treat that doesn't get crumbs on your jumper.”

• Twinnings breakfast tea first two cups of the day, then Twinnings everyday for the rest of the day.

• Looseleaf Darjeeling... British Breakfast (Twinings)... Lady Grey or any black tea with a hint of lavender. I'm craving a nice proper tea at Vaults and Gardens sat in the shadow of the Radcliffe Camera in Oxford. Tea at the Orangery at Kensington Palace is a must do as well. Cream tea please with scones, clotted cream, and strawberry jam. 
  • Harney & Sons Tower of London tea is my favorite, but Jonathan has got me hooked on Cornish Smugglers!

• I guess I'll have to try that Yorkshire Red that I've seen mentioned here. My aunt introduced me to Lady Grey and I haven't looked back since. My husband is obsessed with it too. Now that he is working from home we decided to add tea time to our day. People think we're crazy drinking hot tea in the middle of a hot summer Texas day, but we love it.

• Just to break the stereotype. British and not a tea drinker. Coffee is the thing. Maybe an occasional cup of Lift.

• It was repeated visits to Britain that got me drinking tea, to be honest. I was never a fan when I was younger, though my mother was. I order tea and biscuits once a year from Betty's in York as my Christmas gift to myself, and then I ration it for the next twelve months! I supplement with lots of other brands and types, though, both bagged and loose leaf. I love the British versions of Twinings when I can get them conveniently, but of American brands I mostly drink Tazo and Harney & Sons. In recent years, Adagio Teas has been a real treat for affordable and customizable loose leaf.

• "Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea! How would it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea." Rev. Sydney Smith 1771-1845

I have imbibed 2-3 pots of tea every day since I can remember: loose leaf Jasmine Green in the morning, Earl Grey in the afternoon, and perhaps chamomile or mint in the evening.

When I am on the road a bag of PG Tips in a cup will bolster me! When I am patronizing our favorite local tearoom, occasionally the "Scottish Highlands" blend replaces my Earl Grey. I adore traveling in Britain as ordering looseleaf in a pot is not considered an unreasonable demand!

• I cannot drink tea anymore, used to drink Twinings Earl Grey, but there is more caffeine in a cup of that in coffee, it began making me dizzy, so stopped. Sigh.

• PG everyday, sometimes Darjeeling but my favourite one is Lady Grey, difficult to find in Italy.

• My family and I volunteered at a historical settlement in New Brunswick, Canada for over 20 years, and in the process were introduced to King Cole tea. We've been drinking it ever since. However, since the pandemic, we have not been able to cross over the border from Maine to New Brunswick to buy more tea. We drink tea at breakfast, and at tea time in the afternoon, so I have resorted to buying other brands of loose and bagged teas. We really like Yorkshire Red, PG Tips and Ty.Phoo.

• edited September 11

From the marvelous book, Leo Damrosch's "The Club- Johnson, Boswell and the Friends Who Shaped an Age" is a quote about Dr. Samuel Johnson's tea habit:

"Johnson acknowledged that he was a hardened and shameless tea drinker, who has for 20 years diluted his meals with only the infusion of this fascinating plant, whose kettle has scarcely time to cool, who with tea amuses the evening, with tea solaces the midnight and with tea welcomes the mornings."